Latest Site Updates
(04/30/18) - SITE DOWNTIME
- We apologize for the inconvenience of today's downtime on the site. You hate it, we hate it, there's no way around it. Tell us we suck. We can take it. Today was not for nothing, we did find something that was dragging down the performance of the site and will make us better going forward.
- You may notice that your wishlist/watched items are no more. We apologize for this big 'ol pain in the butt. Unfortunately, we are unable to reclaim this data for you.
- If any of your purchases or listings were impacted by this downtime please contact us at our Support Email and we'll make it right.
(01/04/18) - WINTER WEATHER
Some guidance on "weathering the storms"
- Buyer assumes responsibility for possible frozen contents due to the inability of sellers to control the weather, service delays caused by the weather, or boxes sitting in the cold on your front stoop.
- Buyers assume the responsibility of communicating with seller the optimum shipping timeframe. Sellers are expected to oblige the shipping guidance provided by the buyer, within reason. This leaves an element of uncertainty to all shipments during this time of the year.
- Practice caution. If you are unsure, hold the box until the weather warms. This is especially important for international shipments as the time exposed to cold weather is likely to be higher.
- All users are encouraged to utilize FedEx and UPS drop-off/pick-up points or commercial addresses to reduce the likelihood of frozen items (i.e. extra hours sitting on your porch).
- Sellers are encouraged to ship on Mondays to avoid shipping delays over the weekend in a cold storage facility/truck.
- Don't understand why a 15% pastry stout is "fine" but that beautiful 5% lambic is at a higher risk? We have provided some resources to educate.
There has been a bit of a discrepancy with sales fees on the site. The lower priced items up to $100 were always a set price; if you sold an item for $101 the fee almost doubled because it was calculated on a percentage basis. We have simplified the pricing structure to eliminate these inconsistencies. A significant number of sales on Mybeercollectibles come in the form of cans and mixed packs. We feel that if a seller is trying to sell mixed packs then the most effective way to do so is through a storefront with individual cans. This allows maximum flexibility for buyers and sellers. The new pricing structure should make this more competitive compared to the previous fee structure. As always the site fees can be accessed here
As always, the individual listing fees (reserve price, highlighting, home page feature, etc) are displayed during the listing process.
In addition to the change in final value (sales) fees, we have updated some of the listing fees:
- reserve price - $0.50
- highlighted item - $0.25
- home page feature - $1.00
- category page feature - $0.75
Back in 2015 when the site was down for an extended time, we changed the above 4 fees to be $0 or very minimal as a concession and apology to users. However, if all items are featured/highlighted on the site then that feature is not worth anything and doesn't actually highlight/feature any item. Administrators will more actively monitor new listings and feature items without charge to the seller.
- If you use the calculation tool for the USPS or UPS shipping module please read. You must edit your listings to include the box dimensions. This is a new function of the calculator. Unfortunately, this is throwing errors if the dimensions are not filled out when users try to purchase your items.
- All email domains are successfully delivering to their inboxes. If you are missing emails please check your spam/junk folders and add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your approved sender list.
- With the recent update, if you find any issues please notify us with the device and browser you are using.
Hotmail and MSN domain email delivery issue has been resolved. AT&T domains may have delivery issue for another 24-48 hours, but are in-process for being fixed.
A snippet of the upcoming updates. Expect to have them up in about a week or so:
- Numerous bug fixes on the way.
- Revised shipping module
- Improved mobile and desktop layout
(6/21/17) - As mentioned on 6/18 the site was taken offline in order to migrate to a new server. There remain some email delivery issues as the proper anti-spam measures are added to outgoing emails. You may notice that emails are hitting your spam or junk inbox. this should be resolved in the next day or two. In the meantime, if you are expecting messages or have items for sale please be sure to check the site routinely and to check your junk inbox. As always, it is a good idea to have these addresses on your approved sender list - email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com.
(6/18/17) - you may have noticed the recent latency issues (slow page loading). MBC has outgrown its current server. We are moving to a bigger, better server this week and need to take the site down to ensure no data is lost or errors with any sales. This will commence around 1730 mountain time on Tuesday June 20th.Â The transition period is expected to occur over about a 24-hour period, but could take up to 48 hours before everything is in place and fully transferred. All listings scheduled to end from 20170620-1730 through 20170622-1730 will be edited to end at a later time. If you have any questions or need to communicate with a seller/buyerÂ you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help facilitate communication between parties.Â
This short down time will greatly increase the performance of mybeercollectibles.com. We have much more to come and this is just the beginning. Thank you for your continued support!!
(2/1/17) - effective at midnight tonight all users will be required to be verified to Sell AND Buy. If you feel that you have been active enough on the site that this requirement should not apply to you as a buyer then feel free to send me a message at email@example.com
(1/3/17) - Changes and updates coming to the site, effective on/about Jan 08, 17
- Several site upgrades and updates to increase site performance, navigation, and user-friendly options.Â
- RegularÂ Paypal payment is the default payment option on this website. ALL sellers must comply and allow for this type of payment. No seller will be allowed to REQUIREÂ buyers to submit payment by Venmo, Google Wallet or Paypal friends and family. Those options are available for convenience. However, this is an e-commerce site. The primary reason e-commerce has grown so significantly is the ease of use. Register, click, pay, then sellerÂ ships. That's the whole idea behind it. There is no need for several emails back and forth to figure out how to make payment. Sellers should be able to bid and buy with ease. You are making 4 to 10 to 25 times the original price and you want to harp over 3% fees?Â
- I have built an escrow payment option wherein the buyer sends payment to admin to hold until product is confirmed delivered. All new sellers will be required to utilize this escrow option for their first 10 sales. This will provide additional security for buyers. I am still tweaking some of the code to make the whole process more fluid. In the interim, buyers can send an escrow payment to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the site invoice #. I will notify the seller of payment and the rest of the transaction will flow as normal. Expect for the fully functional escrow option to be live by the end of the week (1/8/17).
- All sellers will be required to maintain a positive account balance. Accounts will be suspended below $0.01 balance.Â
- All users will be required to verify their accounts. I will change the verification fee to $5 from $10 when this becomes active.Â
- Non-payment from buyers will result in a $5 penalty, removed from account balance. This will result in account suspension. In order to reinstate account, users will need to pay another $5 to activate their account. There is a growing issue with buyers not following through with paymentÂ on their purchases.Â
(11/27/16) - The Paypal issue and site cache/performance was resolved effective about 11/20. With the holiday I am late to post this notification. If you see any issues with PayPal please contact me right away as your problem is most likely not related.Â
There will be some site improvements/modifications coming through the end of the year. Some are cosmetic, some are functional, and some determine the way users access the site. I will be implementing measures to streamline transactions and seek to eliminate the non-paying issues as well as increased vetting ofÂ incoming new users. More details to come.
(11/13/16) - The site has been having cache issues. This was the start of the issue with the Paypal linkage and display of PayPal addresses on site invoices. Some, not all, users are experiencing issues with the 'make payment' link being inactive.Â Now, the fix yesterday for that problem has led to a larger issue of file cache which has now led to the decreased performance you are experiencing today. We are actively working to resolve the issue. To deal with the PayPal problem I have temporarilyÂ removed the email filter block so that sellers can communicate their payment addresses without delays. Please don't hesitate to contact me email@example.com to help resolve any issues caused by the current site performance.Â
(9/12/16) - Hallelujah, Hotmail is fixed! No one should have anymore issues with delivery of messages anymore. Hotmail/MSN has been such a huge PITA, but we finally got it right. Sincere apologies for the delayed resolution on this issue.
(9/9/16 update) - all seller information has been removed from site invoices. We are in the process of adding the seller paypal address back to the invoice. In the interim, buyers can still make payment via the direct 'make payment' link, as always.
- At the request of numerous users we have modified the auctions on the site to allow for a 5 minute popcorn. Bids placed within the final minutes will extend an auction expiration time to 5 minutes.
(9/8/16) - Private messaging is back. All private messages are subject to admin approval. Messages are approved routinely so should not be a significant disruption to users.Â Any messaging attempting to conduct transactions off-site will not be delivered.Â
Some furtherÂ clarification on PMs -Â Private messages communicating payment details and/or personal contact details will be delayed and/or deleted. If you wish to purchase item seller is advised to list the item for sale. If an agreed upon price seller can list item at higher price and allow offers on item at agreed upon price. If you are attempting to communicate payment details following a legitimate sale, buyer/seller are advised to utilize the message board as that function is directly linked to sales and not subject to admin approval. By default, seller paypal email address is displayed on the site item invoice. Messages communicating phone # or email address will be significant'y delayed and edited to remove personal contact information.Â
-Â Sellers have raised concern over protection of their information. Within 48 hours the only sellerÂ information available to buyers prior to payment will be the Paypal email of the seller. This should help protect from people who have nothing better to do than trying to out sellers to breweries.Â